Today, several engineering design applications are available to design 3D models. Designers receive their design models and convert them in to compatible formats. This conversion may result in data loss and requires a data validation. With this idea in mind, our client approached ProtoTech Solutions to design an application with a functionality to compare 3D models – part by part and point cloud to part. An application with such functionalities can be useful in domains like inspection, manufacturing, aerospace etc. 3D Model comparison also helps to accurately compare multiple versions of parts and assemblies with their newer design versions.
Working closely with the client, the team at ProtoTech developed a comprehensive specification document. Once the specifications were done, the team worked on the development and provided daily updates on the project progress. The client and the team both decided to use a proprietary SDK (software development kit).
Some of the functionalities of this application are highlighted below-
- Intelligent sampling technique:
- Developed a special mechanism to detect high fidelity regions for input geometry.
- Implemented variable point sampling in high fidelity regions.
- Color interpolation:
- Developed a mechanism to show deviation using color interpolation.
- Implemented legends to map color and deviations.
- 3D Visualization:
- Point and arrow markers for denoting deviation
- Weekly status meetings were held and daily progress reports were sent to the client
- Our team managed the development task completely so no micro-managerial
overhead costs were incurred to the client
- Our team developed new algorithms for the application based on their previous